Saturday 24 November 2012

Adding Life to your films with Foley


 The magic of Foley



I get asked a lot by youngsters and adults how do we capture such great sound when recording film. The truth is we don't. Most audio you hear in a film or TV show is added in after it is shot. Sound Effects libraries are a great resource, but most of the time we will never find the exact sound we need to match up to the picture.
This is where the art of Foley comes in.
So regardless if it is animation or live action foley is an important element in your production.


As the guy in the video above states it is a hard task to get right. I have had the pleasure of sitting in on several foley sessions. I met an assume foley artist named Andy Malcom.
I met him while doing my first 3D animated film. He was kind enough to donate his time and talent. While visiting him in his studio at Delux Sound in Toronto I had an opertunity to perform a little foley myself. He happened to be working on a big fight scene and needed a lot of footsteps. So some where out there is a film with my little feet smashing the floor. lol
He now runs his own studio called Footsteps.
Here is a short film made years ago featuring Andy doing what he does best, making a lot of noise.

Here is Andy in action.


I'll be creating foley for my film, but not until it is all shot and edited, so it is a ways off. I thought I would post this however as I have been getting a lot of questions about audio and how it would be created  for an animated film. Hopeful this helps. 

Cheers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment